Regulating the Menstrual Cycle.
Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) has a unique model of health and fertility. Regulating the menstrual cycle is a way to boost fertility and lead to conception. We ask a range of questions regarding the patient's menstrual cycle in order to be able to identify the presence of subtle imbalances that according to Chinese medicine may act as barriers. Limited medical research design has indicated that menstrual cycle length is related to live birth outcomes. More medical research is required to ascertain the relationship or not between menstrual cycle irregularities and live birth rates. Research on infertility is quite limited. For example a systematic review found that there is limited evidence available on how to best advise couples to try for a baby. At Aquilia Acupuncture we use consensus guidelines produced by the American Society of Reproductive Medicine. We do find that many couples are unaware how to optimise their approach towards natural conception.
Some questions that we ask at Aquilia Fertility to help us measure menstrual cycle irregularities according the Chinese medical model include:
- Cycle regularity: is the cycle early or delayed?
- Cycle length: is the cycle short or extended?
- The colour of menstrual fluid: is it bright red or dark red?
- The amount of menstrual fluid lost: are periods heavy or light?
- The consistency of the menstrual flow: are clots present and are they big or small?